Thursday, October 8, 2009

Magical Masquerade: Preparation

There will be a ball at the end of this teaching period (week 13). I volunteer to do marketing for the event. One of my job is making posters.

I found this websites are very useful to supply non-royalty pictures:
1. Stock Exchange
2. deviantART
(there are some that are free, but the rests are not free)

I found a website that can assist me to determine matching colors through themes, that is Adobe Kuler. I chose "africa" by "Sifa" from Kuler. Here is what the theme look like:


Picture 1 Kuler Theme: africa by Sifa

I used the color in the middle (third from left and right) as background like it is suggested by Kuler. This is an example of a poster that I made from that source:


Picture 2 Sample Poster

In the end, this poster was not chosen as one that will be used, but I think it looks good (since I am the one who made it.

FAQ about designing poster:
1. Q: What should I care about paper?
A: There are some different sizes and types of paper. As an example, that poster was printed in A3 (equals to 2 times A4 or 29.7 x 42.0 centimeters) in a glossy paper (200 grams).
2. Q: Which file format should I use for the poster?
A: It depends on your purpose. If it is to edit further, a raw file that still keep the picture as detail as possible is better. If it is to print, .pdf file would be sufficient.
3. Q: How to make sure that the picture quality will be good?
A: It is better to make sure that the pictures at least have a resolution of 300 dpi (dot per inch) and it is different with ppi (pixel per inch). Don't get messed up!

No comments:

Post a Comment