Friday, August 28, 2009

International Festival

International Festival was held by and in UNSW since Tuesday (25) to Thursday (27 August 2009). On Wednesday It happened that before I attended my lecture I saw the crowd, then I figured out that they held a night market from 4PM (I thought it was not late enough and the sun's shine was still quite bright). PPIA (Perhimpunan Pelajar Indonesia Australia), an Indonesian community club, also opened a stand there. They sold mochi, I could not believe it, even though Cianjur and Semarang were famous by their mochi, but mochi was not Indonesian food, as far as I knew, it was Japanese. Besides that, there are some other stands that represented other countries like China, Japanese, etc.

Picture 1 Night Market (Front View)

Picture 2 Night Market (Back View)

This event reminded me about my reason to study here, in Australia, especially Sydney, was that this place was diverse. Here I can meet people from different nationality, so I can also study their culture. Globalization is an issue and it has changed the way people usually do things and it is often involved people from different culture. A person, in his/her life, has some options like creating his/her own culture and let others follow or following the culture that has been established. In term of globalization, it is easier for me to do the second one because I don't have enough power to do the first option, or in other word it is usually called adaptation. If I can get accepted by the global world, I am sure that I will have more options and opportunities to do more.

Note:
Later, I just realized that when I tried to blend with the culture that has already existed before I am here, other people are important. I evaluated my actions based on other's responses to what I did, so I think it is important for the former people to be aware of this otherwise it will be difficult for new people to feel accepted and adapt themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment