Friday, August 28, 2009

ACE Leadership Competition - Closing Ceremony

Five days after the competition, we were gathered again in Marriott Hotel, Circular Quay, for closing ceremony. It was a cocktail event, so they only provided us with cocktail (champagne, white wine, red wine, etc.), light drink (lime, lemon squash, etc.), and some snacks. It was started at about 6:30 PM.

Professor Alex Cameron, The Dean, did the opening speech. The speech from Juliet, today's keynote speaker, gave me the idea that technical skills without communication skills will not take you further in your career.

After those speech they announced the winner based on ten categories for ten teams (everyone is the winner), but the last three were third position, runner-up position, and the winner. I got the fourth position, the label is as the team that mimic homeless people, if I am not mistaken. Each of us got a voucher (valid for 12 months) worth AUD50 to buy a book at UNSW Bookstore. Since I paid AUD50 for this program, it was paid back.

After it had ended, many of us still chatted or took some pictures outside the room. When I met Shahid and he complained to me because I called him, "Sir". I realized my mistake, this is Australia, a different place with where I came from. I should just call him by his first name.

No comments:

Post a Comment