Sunday, February 20, 2011

Indonesian Idol, Is There Any?

I wrote this when I realised that a crisis might occur in our country, it’s a crisis of character and icon. I don’t know whether it’s real or it’s just my imagination (hopefully, it’s just my imagination).

I asked this questions to my friends:

“If you are asked to choose an Indonesian icon that you idolise, who are you going to choose and why?”

Some of the positive answers were:
“Ari Wibowo because he is handsome, nice, and seems smart”
“Gus Dur because he made the Chinese New Year as a national holiday”

Some of the negative answers were:
“Nobody because I am nobody”
“Who will you choose? I have no idea”
or similar answers. More people give me a “No” than a name.

I asked myself, who do I mean by an Idol? For me, an idol is someone that I look up to, someone whose life I want to follow, someone that becomes an example for my life (a role model).

In that case:

1. If I think about fictional characters, there are characters like Leigh Ann Tuohy in The Blind Side (a Hollywood movie) or Go Eun Sung in Shining Inheritance (a Korean drama). Both of them has strong characteristics, which make them really inspiring and admirable. In Indonesia, who do we have? Can you see Fitri Rahayu from Cinta Fitri (an Indonesian drama/sinetron) as a role model?
2. If I think about public figures, there are figures like Oprah Winfrey which are really inspirational in her talk shows. If I think who are the most popular these days, two names come up, Jupe (Julia Perez) and DP (Dewi Persik). With all their affairs, could I idolise them? I don't think so. We used to have Aa Gym (Abdullah Gymnastiar), but not anymore. Right now, I couldn't think of anyone else.

Based on thoses cases, we might be in crisis. An Idol crisis.

If you also agree that this is happening and by any chance you know someone from the media/publication, please help our country by sharing this to them, so they will be aware about this as we do, then we may be able to start doing something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment